Spread the love

The wages that international students can earn per hour in the USA vary based on several factors, including the state, city, type of job, and the student’s visa status. International students in the U.S. typically hold F-1 visas and are allowed to work part-time on-campus during the academic year and full-time during breaks, according to certain regulations.

The federal minimum wage in the United States was $7.25 per hour. However, many states and cities have their own minimum wage laws, which can be higher than the federal minimum wage. Some states also have exemptions or lower minimum wages for certain categories of workers, including students.

On-campus jobs for international students often include roles like research assistants, administrative assistants, library assistants, and more. The wages for these positions can vary, but they usually align with the minimum wage or slightly higher.

It’s important to research the specific minimum wage laws in the state and city where you plan to work, as well as any regulations that may pertain to international students. Additionally, keep in mind that wages can vary significantly based on the job’s nature and location. To get the most accurate and up-to-date information about wages for international students, you should consult official sources such as the U.S. Department of Labor or your university’s international student office.

Can I Work More Than 20 Hours As a Student USA?

international students in the United States on an F-1 visa are generally allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year (when school is in session) and full-time during official school breaks, such as the summer break. This is typically considered part-time work. However, there are a few important points to keep in mind:

  1. On-Campus Work: The 20-hour-per-week limit applies to on-campus employment. On-campus jobs are those that are located on the school’s premises, including jobs with contractors providing services to the school.
  2. Off-Campus Work: If you wish to work off-campus, you may be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after completing one academic year. OPT allows you to work in your field of study for up to 12 months (or up to 36 months for STEM students) after graduation. There are specific rules and regulations governing OPT, and you need to apply for it through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  3. Curricular Practical Training (CPT): CPT is another type of work authorization that allows F-1 students to work off-campus as part of their academic program. It must be directly related to the student’s major field of study and must be authorized by the designated school official.
  4. Severe Economic Hardship: In cases of unforeseen economic hardship, F-1 students can apply for employment authorization that allows them to work off-campus.
  5. Maintaining Full-Time Enrollment: Working more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session can impact your ability to maintain full-time enrollment, which is a requirement for maintaining your F-1 status.

It’s important to note that immigration regulations can change, and policies may vary based on individual circumstances, so it’s recommended to consult your Designated School Official (DSO) at your university’s international student office or an immigration attorney for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding your specific situation. Additionally, regulations and policies could have changed over the years, so be sure to verify with current sources.

Part-Time Job Salary in the USA for International Students

Part-time job salaries for international students in the USA can vary widely based on factors such as the type of job, location (city and state), industry, and the student’s skill level and experience. From recent source we can provide you with a general idea of the potential earnings for part-time jobs typically available to international students:

  1. On-Campus Jobs: On-campus jobs available to international students often pay around the minimum wage or slightly higher. In a recent research, the federal minimum wage was $7.25 per hour. However, many states and cities have their own minimum wage rates that could be higher. On-campus jobs can include roles like research assistants, administrative assistants, library assistants, and more.
  2. Retail and Hospitality: Jobs in retail stores, restaurants, and hospitality industries might offer wages around the minimum wage or slightly higher. Tips earned in the service industry can also contribute to earnings.
  3. Tutoring or Teaching Assistantships: If you are skilled in a particular subject, you might be able to work as a tutor or teaching assistant, earning a slightly higher wage than entry-level positions.
  4. Internships: Some internships, especially those related to your field of study, might offer compensation. The wages can vary greatly depending on the industry and the company’s policies.
  5. Work-Study Programs: Some schools offer work-study programs where students can work part-time on-campus or with approved off-campus employers. These programs often have a variety of job opportunities and could pay around the minimum wage or higher.
  6. Off-Campus Jobs (OPT and CPT): If you are eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT) related to your major field of study, your earnings could vary widely based on the industry and your skill level. These positions could pay more than minimum wage, especially if they are in specialized fields.
  7. Freelancing or Gig Work: Some students might explore freelance work, such as graphic design, writing, programming, or other digital services. Earnings can vary significantly based on the demand for your skills and the rates you can charge.

Keep in mind that wages can change over time, and local economic conditions can also influence pay rates. It’s important to research the specific job market and wage rates in your area. Additionally, if you are considering working in the USA as an international student, it’s recommended to check with your university’s international student office or career services for guidance on local job opportunities and prevailing wages.

10 Highest Paying Part-Time Jobs for International Students in the USA

The highest paying part-time jobs for international students in the USA can vary based on location, industry, and individual qualifications. However, here are ten potential part-time job options that could offer relatively higher pay:

  1. Research Assistant: Working as a research assistant for a university department or faculty member can pay well, especially if it’s in a field related to your major.
  2. Teaching Assistant: If you have expertise in a subject, you could work as a teaching assistant for a course in your department.
  3. IT Support or Programming: If you have strong technical skills, part-time jobs in IT support or programming could offer higher pay.
  4. Engineering Intern: For engineering students, internships in engineering firms or companies could provide good compensation.
  5. Accounting or Finance Intern: If you’re majoring in accounting or finance, internships or part-time positions in these fields might offer competitive pay.
  6. Consulting or Market Research: Some consulting firms hire part-time staff for data analysis, market research, or consulting roles.
  7. Healthcare Assistant: Jobs in healthcare, such as medical scribing or medical assistant roles, could offer better compensation due to the specialized nature of the work.
  8. Freelance Writing or Content Creation: If you’re a skilled writer, content creation gigs or freelance writing opportunities could pay well, especially in specialized industries.
  9. Graphic Design: If you have graphic design skills, you might find part-time opportunities in creating visual content for businesses.
  10. Translation or Interpretation: If you’re fluent in multiple languages, offering translation or interpretation services on a freelance basis could be lucrative.

Remember that the availability and compensation of these jobs can vary depending on your location, the job market, and your qualifications. It’s important to research job opportunities in your specific area and to consider positions that align with your skills and field of study. Additionally, you should consult your university’s career services or international student office for guidance on finding high-paying part-time jobs and understanding any legal or visa-related considerations.

About Author


MegaIncomeStream is a global resource for Business Owners, Marketers, Bloggers, Investors, Personal Finance Experts, Entrepreneurs, Financial and Tax Pundits, available online. egaIncomeStream has attracted millions of visits since 2012 when it started publishing its resources online through their seasoned editorial team. The Megaincomestream is arguably a potential Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, videos, features, and information, as well as a highly engaged global community for updates and niche conversation. The platform has diverse visitors, ranging from, bloggers, webmasters, students and internet marketers to web designers, entrepreneur and search engine experts.