You’ve been considering opening a coffee cart business, but where do you start? We are aware from personal experience that setting it up can be difficult, but large earnings are possible for those who do it well. This article’s goal is to give you some insightful information about what it will take to successfully begin your mobile coffee shop business.
We’ve listed the broad suggestions you should think about before you start. These suggestions and how they are carried out will vary from case to case, though, because each coffee cart business and its unique characteristics will be different from the next. So we trust that you’ll be able to use what’s relevant to you and leave out what doesn’t apply, focusing on developing your particular coffee cart business plan
A mobile coffee stand outfitted with a coffee maker and other necessary equipment essentially makes up a coffee cart business. Since there are significantly reduced start-up costs, no rent, and—best of all—you may operate wherever you choose, it’s a fantastic option to operating a physical and mortar coffee shop.
A coffee cart is a fantastic business opportunity in both small communities and major cities because almost everyone drinks coffee. This is mostly due to the fact that mobile coffee stands, like hot dog carts, target consumers who are constantly on the go, a potential market segment given that the majority of us spend 70% of our time away from home.
And if the majority of people have a daily budget set aside for their requirements, a daily cup of coffee on the go is undoubtedly included. Even when they are closely monitoring their expenditures, they may afford to treat themselves to an espresso or a latte from a coffee cart on the way to work or during lunch.
Below are some benefits of starting a mobile coffee business.
Low start-up costs: you can start a mobile coffee business even on a tight budget as a simple coffee cart can be bought for as little as EUR 4000.
– Coffee is a growing trend: the coffee business is growing, and there are many coffee connoisseurs who will forego the tasteless vending machine coffee and get a high quality one instead. This is only going to continue.
– Great Profit Margins: coffee offers incredible gross profit margins of up to 90% which is what has attracted the big companies to expand at such a rapid rate. Very few other products even come close, meaning that you have the potential to make a lot of money.
– A year round product: some products are very seasonal, but coffee is no longer one of them. Yes, you won’t sell as many on hot days, but let’s be honest, they are few and far between.
– Flexibility: many people operate a mobile coffee cart business to fit around their lifestyle, choosing only the odd show or event. Others choose to do it as a career, operating a daily in the town centre or retail park. The great thing is that this kind of venture can be run part time, on evenings outside a club or on weekends, at various events around the country. Overall, a coffee cart business is very flexible.
Here are some suggestions to help you start your mobile coffee business:
- Do lots and lots of research
The most crucial task to carry out before leaping into action is to carry out mounds of research. You can’t go into business blindly; you need to at least have a sound idea of what to expect when you start out, what you want to sell, where you want to sell it and how you can successfully sell it.
We realize it can be overwhelming when you’re starting out to decipher the facts from the fiction and the good experiences from the bad.
- Register your business
Registering your business with the local authority of the area in which you will be trading is crucial if you are to operate legally. It’s a quick and easy process and can be done via the council’s website. Making sure you’ve got all the correct paperwork in order – from public liability insurance through to risk assessments – is one of the most crucial aspects to setting up your business. Thankfully, we’re here to help you with all of that and keep you on the right side of the law!
- Have a Support System in place
You will undoubtedly have many questions. Where are you going to get the reassurance that you are doing the right thing or the confidence to change if things aren’t going to plan?
NCASS is here to provide you with the support and advice needed to make a success of your business. If you’re thinking of starting a mobile/tea business, have some thoughts but don’t know what to do next, or just need guidance on what you need to get off the ground, we’re here to help.
- Buy a Mobile Vehicle & Equipment
There are suitable vehicles out there for all sorts of price ranges, from fully furnished horsebox trailers and Piaggio’s, to vans in desperate need of a renovation.
To get an idea of what vehicles are on the market currently, keep checking back on our Classified Area – a free resource available to those looking to buy or sell a mobile catering vehicle.
- Get your training in order
If you’re handling food and drink on a regular basis, you are required by law to undertake Food Hygiene Training. Have no fear, as this can easily be done in the comfort of your own home using our online training courses. They’re available to both members and non members, with members receiving huge discounts.
Your desire to operate a coffee cart has a good possibility of succeeding financially. Naturally, there will be stressful moments and times when operations may be improved, but never lose sight of the motivation behind starting your mobile café company in the first place. The likelihood is that you desired to leave the grind and pursue your passion. Keep in mind to enjoy yourself and allow your enthusiasm for coffee shine through in all of your efforts.